Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What do you REALLY want?

Decide what you want early and save yourself the heartache.

Do you want a quick hit, truckloads of money right now!? Or do you want to make enough to keep you in the game long enough to know how to make, maintain and grow the big bucks? What you decide will govern how you do everything in your business, I mean every single thing.

Image courtesy:http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2026
I have seen it happen time and time again, business owners, who go in search of the Golden Fleece, hit it big and became overnight superstars. That’s great but is that really what you want? Do you want to come into so much money all at once and drive yourself crazy with all the things you can buy, ride the wave while it lasts and run into a hole when the gig is up? Seriously, is that really what you want? You increase the lifestyle tastes of your family and then when the money wave dies down you are running from pillar to post, getting into deals you ordinarily wouldn’t dream of in your right mind.



It really doesn't matter what it is that you decide to do. Learn how to make the little money first, do the time, pay the dues and then make sure you soak in all the information you can as you go along. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but no one just wakes up rich; I don’t care what it is they show on TV or on all these so called lifestyle magazines. One of the words of wisdom that guides my ventures, "Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin."- Zechariah 4:10 NLT. It's actually easier said than done but it's such a sound word that would keep you out of a lot of trouble.Trust me... Any opportunity that offers to make you a millionaire in two weeks is fundamentally unstable. Can you make something from nothing? Yes. Can you do it in a week? Probably. Can you keep it up? Probably not. You have to do the time.

I was invited to a send forth dinner for a ‘valued’ member of staff in what was at the time a major player in the oil and gas trade. I noticed that there was an unusual amount of very expensive champagne, wine, you name it, they popped it. All this in addition to food and entertainment. I couldn’t help asking exactly how many more staff would be sent off the same way. I mean, its not like the guy was resigning as Group Managing Director after handling a one billion dollar portfolio. As a young analyst in the Consulting sector, I found it slightly strange. I mentioned it in passing to a top HR consultant and she simply said ‘ Hmm... Tell me about them again in two years’. It was like clockwork, I kid you not. The next thing I knew, associates were being investigated, there were stories about unpaid loans and lots of shady deals. It was all a mess. Do they still operate? I’m not sure. Even if they do they took a really bad beating and it would take a lot to get back to status quo.

That's exactly what I am talking about. The only thing worse than being broke is having so much in one minute and absolutely nothing the next. It terrifies me! Were they smart and tech savvy? Very. Were they running the business like generatonal thinkers? I don’t think so. If they were, it didn’t matter how much they made that year, you NEVER use business funds in that manner. Its just not sustainable. That you generate alot of revenue is not a licence to go on a spending spree.

If that is the reason you want to jump ship and leave your job... to be your own boss and blow all the cash as you get it, three words – KEEP YOUR JOB!

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about your write up "what do you really want" in a different context, I would firmly say greatness,fame,glory,to be a legend, for my name and legacy to transcend time. I have taken my time over the years to realise that I'd rather be EINSTEIN than be OBAMA, I'd rather be LIONEL MESSI than be FIFA PRESIDENT. In this realisation, I have found such profound peace, that I pursue the goals that would help me to transcend time,even when I am no more. I'd rather be ACHILLES than be ODESSIUS. looking forward to read about this same topic from you sometime, in the context of obeying the call from your heart to be who you were truly born to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I admit I hadn't thought about it in that context. Hmmm..... Will definitely get round to putting something down in that context sometime soon. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete