Monday, February 27, 2012

Failure is Necessary

I remember when I was interviewing for an Analyst position in a Consulting firm many moons ago. One question I remember being asked was what I thought about failure.

At first I thought okay, is this a trick question? I am supposed to say failure is bad right? I couldn't decide what answer wouldn't sound phony so I just gave an honest one. 'Failure is necessary', I said.

He stopped taking notes and looked at me for a few seconds, then with more conviction and looking him straight in the eye, I said again, 'Failure is necessary because it's what makes you who you are. You can't say you have grown if you have never failed at anything'.


I have had to heed my own advice many times over since then. Failure here might not necessarily mean a failing grade in a course but I don't think anyone can have a life or a career without falling or stumbling once or twice (or more!). If they didn't fall or stumble they probably weren't walking. That's even worse!

Just found a great clip that I think drives the point home. Just do it. What's the worst that can happen? Really?

http://www.flickspire.com/m/LifeSecrets/FailToSucceed

No comments:

Post a Comment