Wednesday, February 22, 2012

4 Success Tips to Learn from Children

I once read somewhere that when an adult asks a child ‘So what do you want to be when you grow up?’ He isn’t asking just to strike up a conversation, he is shopping for ideas!

The statement rings so true especially as I cast my mind to how precocious I was as a child. I never took no for an answer. Then I was introduced to the world of Television. I was on a popular children's show and we walked the halls of the influential and famous, from the Judiciary to the Football Federation. We interviewed military leaders in their offices and sat in the same room with CEO’s of large companies. 



I went through my lines without a care in the world and the recordings were transmitted round the country every Tuesday. I didn't worry about my hair, my clothes, my chin, the angle of the camera or even messing up my questions. Somehow I knew that even if I messed up the lines, the Director would shout ‘Cut!’, ask me to take them again then scream, ‘Roll tape!’. A crew member would reply ‘Rolling!’ and then the Director would give the final order ‘Action!’ and I always delivered. Aside from the general butterflies, there was really no pressure to be perfect. We were children and it was fun!

Then I grew up and suddenly I viewed every single thing with a microscope. My side folds when I bend, my shoulders are too broad, I don’t sound intelligent, what would  I say anyway, I’m too fat, I’m too skinny, my legs look weird and on and on and on. Looking back from my days under the hot studio floodlights and being on National Television, I honestly don’t understand how that happened.

Then I thought a little deeply about it. What could possibly happen in one’s life to change our thoughts from being so open minded, and without any fears to people who constantly walk in fear, afraid of even having something remotely close to a revolutionary idea for fear of being thought intelligent? All in the space of 5 to 10 years; we go from being inquisitive, curious, and always asking ‘why’ to being lazy thinkers, afraid to step out and never asking any questions.

I think it’s just because we take adulthood a bit too seriously.  We are so scared of being wrong as adults but somehow we understood that being wrong was part of learning as children.  I have written out a few ways that entrepreneurs (and really anyone) can learn from our days as children.

Image: Vlado / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Children know that the right answer is a ‘why’ away. Your life or business will never get off the ground unless you get to the bottom of certain problems. You know how children ask about 20 'why's in quick succession only because they aren't quite satisfied with the answers they are getting? Annoying but extremely important. If you cut off the top of a blade of grass, it will only need a few days to sprout back even taller. There is a reason why that supplier is always late. Stop screaming at your store supervisor and find out what the real issues are. There is nothing more wasteful than having to deal with the same issue over and over again. Ask ‘why’ until you get satisfactory answers; don’t give up. It will work wonders for your problem solving skills and you will be more efficient than you ever thought possible. You may look stupid at first but I guarantee you will have the last laugh.

Children fall, dust their clothes and keep running. Why? Well, for one thing they are intent on reaching the door knob they set out to explore in the first place. As adults we fall, look around for a few people to moon around with us and keep us nice and cosy while we think of how to get up. We like to have a horde of sympathisers at our beck and call when what we really need is someone to kick us out of stupor and remind us of our door knobs! When you fall, get up! If you feel overwhelmed reach out to people who will lift you up and not those who will bring a blanket to join you on the floor!

Children are constantly asking ‘What’s the worst that can happen?’ and do it anyway. Do you recall how you scream at a toddler ‘Don’t touch it!’ he/she turns and looks at you, then gives you a little smirk and proceeds to do exactly what you asked him/her not to. They hear you but decide to form their own opinion anyway and they learn eventually. It’s not so much being disobedient but just learning that independent thought is not a bad thing, in fact it’s natural. As adults however, we take what is meant to be advice as mantra. We base our lives on the words of some anonymous individuals aptly named THEY. THEY said girls don’t study Engineering, THEY say anyone bigger than a size 12 is fat, THEY say you cannot be successful in this sector unless you give some serious favours, THEY say no one ever passes his course, THEY say it is impossible to come out with a First Class, THEY say you can only be truly happy when you get married, THEY say Africans are a waste of space, THEY say no one ever goes beyond this position, THEY say, THEY say and chances are THEY will keep on talking. For all you know these were the ramblings of some drunk in some bar with no name. Who are THEY???? Let me know if you find out. (In the meantime, form an opinion yourself and you can change it if you are proven wrong whenever ‘THEY’ emerge).

Children are constantly moving. Every move they make is to discover, explore, and leave no stone unturned to quench their curiosity. Not only do they constantly learn, they have fun doing it. They laugh, play, make friends and are generally happy. As adults, we think we have it all sorted. Maybe that’s the problem. We are so sure we should know certain things just because we are older and not because we put in time and effort to find out more about them. It might have worked a decade ago to just shout a younger person down because you were 20 years older. That is quickly fading and there is no better example than in corporate circles. Companies are looking for ways to achieve results faster, with less risks and minimum investment. To any business owner value will always outweigh perceived importance. What matters is what you bring to the table and it doesn’t matter if you are 19 or 65. So just do your part and keep improving, keep learning, keep stretching your mind, keep exploring and make sure you have fun doing it. Don’t stop moving till you kick the bucket!

Are there any other ways you think we can succeed by rediscovering the child inside? Please share by leaving your comments.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Idrees! Glad you found it helpful. Don't forget to share...

    ReplyDelete